Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Guest Post by Caroline

Hello from Xi'an! This post is being written by Caroline Wilson, Kyle's wife.

When Kyle first mentioned this opportunity to visit China, I decided I had to go with him! Always up for an adventure, I also wanted to keep Kyle out of trouble and make sure he didn't forget bags in taxis (oops).  Late this summer, I learned the Confucius Institute contacted Xi'an Medical University (XMU), and that I too would be representing UAA by giving a series of lectures.  So here I am giving lectures about life in the US, my research on neural and muscle development, and team-based learning opportunities to the staff, faculty, and students of XMU.

I did not know what to expect for my visit to a foreign university. Would I need a translator (Yes)? Would I be expected to translate (No, luckily!)? Would my hosts be overwhelmed by my visit or excited (EXCITED!)?

All my fears were alleviated by my hosts. I cannot stress this enough: if you ever have the opportunity to give a lecture in China, you should jump at the chance. My hosts have been so kind and generous the entire visit. It started with our first series of lectures on Monday at the first affiliated hospital where the Dean of XMU presented me with a bronze sculpture and flowers. The lecture was followed by a giant, formal lunch where we raised our glasses many times with white wine spirits and red wine (drinking at lunch!!??)  Yesterday, I visited the second affiliated hospital where I got to visit the neurology and critical care units.  The staff went out of their way to entertain me and were very supportive of my work. I am adding some pictures to show everyone this wonderful hospital. The hospital reminded me of most facilities in the US - modern equipment, clean, and many supportive staff to help the patients. The only big difference was that many people were often placed in one room, whereas our hospitals seem to have more private rooms for recovery. And the ambulances are tiny!

Today is my last day at XMU where I will have the opportunity to talk to the students.  The medical students here begin their studies right after high school after they score incredibly high on their high school exit exams (brightest students in the country). The students then study for 5 years before becoming medical doctors. The process here is much quicker than in the states, but the doctors are not paid quite as well. Most hospital staff works 9am-5pm but emergency care is also available.

I am very happy we had this opportunity to visit China and hope to continue conversations with my new colleagues.

No comments:

Post a Comment